Starting Weight Watchers tomorrow night. There is a meeting near my house at 7pm which is very convenient for me. I really prefer the Weight Watcher Centers where they have meetings all day everyday, but you take what you can get. The closest center isn’t close at all. I contacted the headquarters to get my Lifetime Membership Number. (oooh, ahhhh) So, I’m all ready to go. All except the dread of starting over.
The new outlook on food I’m cultivating is this:
- The POINT of eating is to put fuel in my body.
- The point of eating is NOT to provide pleasure for my body.
- The pleasure of eating good food is just an added plus.
- Thus, eating does not have to be pleasurable, it just has to be good fuel.
- Good fuel for my body is not provided when I eat empty calories from sugar and processed grains and such.
- High Quality food is full of nutrients and may or may not taste good. It doesn’t matter. What matters is getting the fuel in the body.
- Once in a while, having a little food that is pleasurable and not good fuel is okay. Just, not enough to live on.
I have been operating on the “I only eat food that tastes good” theory, and that theory has helped me to put on a lot of weight in my life. I am going to try to operate on a new Operating System: Eat to Live, don’t Live to Eat. If food doesn’t taste the way I like, I’ll eat less of it. Eventually my tastes will change and the sugared, processed foods won’t taste as good anyway. Higher nutrition content in food = less food needed to feel full and satisfied. If i could eat by taking a pill or get my nutrition from an IV every night, and never need real food again, sign me up.
The problem is I enjoy the social aspect of eating. I can still enjoy that aspect, it just provides a higher temptation level.
I want to be able to look at a box of donuts and say “ok, what in here will provide good fuel?” answer: “Nothing.”, and move on, past the donuts and on to the small bowl of oatmeal or egg or whatever.
Foods I do not currently eat that I would like to learn to either enjoy or at least tolerate:
Legumes in general
Whole Wheat bread
Watch me turn into a granola girl… you know the ones i mean.